Search Linux Wireless

Re: Roaming behavior

> I want to delete this behavior because I'm developing an
> application which do that alone.

Please look at wpa_supplicants behavior when you configure
ap_scan= and scan_ssid=. With them, you can configure
wpa_supplicant to not issue scan requests on it's own.

Then your user-space app can do the monitoring, scanning (via
nl80211) issue a command to wpa_supplicant to authenticate to
some AP.

Another option would be to look into network-manager and see what
it offers.

But basically, mac80211 has inferior support for roaming compared
to some older solutions.

Some examples: with madwifi, I can tell the driver to only scan
on channels 1,6,11. That's not exactly standards-conforming, but
can speed up roaming considerably, because a full scan is now
way shorter. mac80211 doesn't support such a thing directly. It
just occurs to me that you might be able to do something like
with with a special regulatory daemon.

Or with orinoco, you could define a level when to roam (e.g. at
what SNR/RSSI/whatever it is based on). mac80211 doesn't have
this.

I'm quite sure that this will be eventually done, and then you
have the same seamless roaming with all/most of your WLAN cards,
where with the pre-mac80211 only some of the card did somewhat
well and other cards were only usable for hot-spot operation.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de