Search Linux Wireless

Re: 2.6.31-rc2: Possible regression in rt61pci driver

Luis,

2009/7/28 Luis Correia <luis.f.correia@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Chris
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 14:34, Chris Clayton<chris2553@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> 2009/7/28 Luis Correia <luis.f.correia@xxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Hi Chris
>>
>>> Can you do a very dumb test for me?
>>>
>>> Boot your laptop by adding 'irqpoll' to the kernel command line
>>> options and see if the problem still occours.
>>>

>> Not so dumb a request, actually.  Running -rc4 with the irqpoll
>> command line option, the laptop has just survived 30 minutes without a
>> freeze. It can't survive more than 5 minutes without that option.
>>
>> Chris
>
> Well, if the laptop hangs on working without any problems, this may
> proove to be some strange kind of hardware incompatibility.
>
> The irqpoll option solves some of the interrupt related problems, by
> polling them instead of 'grabbing' them (at least that is what I think
> it is happening, correct me if I'm wrong:))

I've no idea whether you are right or wrong :-) If it is a hardware
quirk, the odd thing is that the card has worked perfectly (modulo
development cycle bugs that I've unearthed and reported) for a long
time now, including the codemonkey driver before rt2x00 hit mainline.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Chris

--
No, Sir; there is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which
so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn - Doctor Samuel