Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC/RFT 5/5] mac80211: implement basic background scanning

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 11:50 +0200, Helmut Schaa wrote:

> > Based on your initial description I thought it was going to be
> > 	scanning == SW_SCANNING
> > or
> > 	scanning == SW_SCANNING | BG_SCANNING
>
> It's exactly the other way round :)
>
> It is either BG_SCANNING or SW_SCANNING | BG_SCANNING.
>
> I already thought that this might cause confusion but I think
> BG_SCANNING better reflects that we are currently running a scan
> (independant of the current scan state) whereas SW_SCANNING better
> reflects that we are on a different channel for scanning.
>
> Maybe I should use other terms. Ideas?

Ah, ok. Since your patch 4/5 changes sw_scanning to SW_SCANNING, I think
at least change it to BG_SCANNING there already. OTOH, I think people
are used to sw_scanning so it would be better to keep it. Maybe do
	SW_SCANNING
and
	SW_SCANNING | OFF_CHANNEL

or maybe
	SW_SCANNING | PROBING
or something like that?

> > Anyway looks pretty good to me! How does it fare during ping -f or
> > something?
>
> I compared it to the hw_scan implementation of iwlwifi. We loose a few
> more frames (I guess due to not flushing the queues before channel switch)
> but it's not really much, it was <1% for ping -f).

Yeah, we still need to add a queue flush callback for the hardware, but
that can wait some more.

> I didn't do much performance testing, just a single wget and the performance
> dropped to about 50%. I still have to run some iperf tests (both RX and TX) to
> see how it behaves.

I'd be more interested in the rtt stats that ping -f prints after you
abort it:

(this was on 127.0.0.1)

johannes