Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwlwifi 4965 uCode available

Hi Helmut,

On Sun, 2009-07-12 at 05:45 -0700, Helmut Schaa wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 9. Juli 2009 schrieb reinette chatre:
> > Version 228.61.2.24 of uCode for Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN is now
> > available for download from
> > http://intellinuxwireless.org/?n=Downloads
>
> The new ucode seems to cause fw restarts every now and then (together
> with wireless-testing).

oh no ...

> iwlagn 0000:10:00.0: Microcode SW error detected.  Restarting 0x82000000.

What is the status when such an error occurs? Can it recover on its own
or do you need to take action? What action is needed?

> I couldn't figure out how to reproduce this but it happened a few times
> now since I switched to the new ucode.
>
> Should I load iwlagn with some special debug flags?

If your driver is compiled with CONFIG_IWLWIFI_DEBUG then you can pass a
debug flag to the module that will print a ucode event log when it
encounters a problem like this. As it will only print out the event log
when this error occurs you can safely turn this debugging on permanently
without risking a clutter of your logs. Later, if you know how to
reproduce is you can increase debugging to get more details about what
the driver is actually doing. The debug flag for _just_ the ucode event
log is 0x40000 (like "modprobe iwlagn debug=0x40000"). The 0x43fff is a
more general debug flag that helps with obtaining more information.

When you have this data - could you please submit a bug at
intellinuxwireless.org/bugzilla for us to be able to track it?

Thank you very much

Reinette