Search Linux Wireless

nl80211 and wext interoperability

Hi!

With the recent work I've done in cfg80211 for nl80211 and wext, we've
mostly removed wext code everywhere. The only thing missing right now is
the key support, and I think then we can declare cfg80211's wext compat
layer pretty much done in terms of what mac80211 had -- orinoco will
need the sensitivity (or AP density) thing but I'm not sure how we
should do that since it's a value that is hardware dependent -- we'll
need to have very good discovery code for the allowed values (unlike
wext where you can set 0..3 and don't know what that means). Anyway,
that wasn't the point of this email.

Currently, if you use wpa_supplicant -Dwext and -Dnl80211 mixed,
-Dnl80211 gets confused because -Dwext will set a 32-byte random SSID to
"disconnect". When then the interface is brought UP again, the cfg80211
code assumes that you set configuration while it was DOWN, and tries to
recover that configuration. This means it will start scanning for the
network, which means -Dnl80211 gets -EBUSY for the scan and it all gets
very delayed. This also happens if you set an SSID with iwconfig before
using -Dnl80211.

Do we just ignore that issue? It's only added timeout and people using
purely nl80211 will never have a problem.

I'm all for ignoring wext issues, but I can also see people complain
about things like this. Not sure what mac80211 did, did it just ignore
settings while interfaces were down? I never really made sense of that
code.

johannes