Search Linux Wireless

Re: BUG REPORT: libertas causing kernel lockups

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 08:59 +0200, Holger Schurig wrote:
> > By executing 'cat /proc/net/wireless' I get the same bug:
>
> I haven't tested your exact but, but I've the following in my
> mind, back from about 1 year ago when I did lots of libertas and
> libertas_cs work:
>
> Access wireless stats made the libertas driver (in wext.c) issue
> a command towards the firmware in the hardware. I think it was
> the command to get the current SNR/RSSI/whatever.

Yes, but the patch that I quoted makes it allowable to sleep there, so
it must be something else. Is it maybe using the RTNL there? Or using
schedule_work() and then waiting for it or something that the work
triggers, which will deadlock on the RTNL if there's something in front
of it on the queue that needs the RTNL, because get_wireless_stats is
executed under RTNL? (lockdep couldn't find that particular case because
it knows nothing about completions)

johannes