Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 00/11] cfg80211 connect API + wireless extension move

On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 10:26 +0100, Dave wrote:
> Johannes Berg wrote:
> > Yes. Mind you, I was not only talking about iwpriv, but also about
> > things like orinoco's spy support or get/set sensitivity. The latter we
> > don't quite understand -- can you tell us what it actually does? Spy
> > support should just be removed, I think.
>
> I've had a closer look at this.

Thanks!

> The sensitivity basically controls the roaming threshold when handled by
> firmware. It is a firmware setting, though the Agere driver also
> validates the multicast rates based on it. The drivers/firmware use
> terms like system scale, AP density, distance between APs.
>
> There are 3 valid values:
>
> 3 - high density of APs. Maintain 11Mbps by roaming.
> 2 - medium density of APs. Maintain 2Mbps.
> 1 - low density. Maintain 1Mbps.
>
> Although the values are defined in terms of the usable bitrate, the
> (Intersil) documentation states that the implementation is based on SNR.

That's actually what people suspected when I asked around at the summit,
and it seemed the general consensus is that we need a proper setting for
that in nl80211 along with some of the roaming capability exports.

So until that happens, the last patch won't get in anyway, and we'll see
about the NEED_... stuff later.

johannes