Search Linux Wireless

Re: Newbie: Need help with ath9k module compilation. (CONFIG_MODVERSIONS)

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Rakesh Kumar<gopchandani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> So, I pulled kernel source from the git (correspondes to 2.6.30 and
> also other dev patches happening) and executed make in the folder
> which resulted in compilation of the whole kernel and also modules in
> the source I downloaded. I am particular interested in ath9k wireless
> drivers. My machine has  kernel version  2.6.27-14 (Ubuntu 8.10) and
> it also already contains ath9k module. What I wanted to do was to
> download latest code for ath9k and replace/temporarily load the new
> module instead of one I have currently. I rmmod ath9k and tried to:
>
> rakesh@pineapple:~/wireless-testing/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k$
> sudo insmod ath9k.ko
>
> which results in:
>
> insmod: error inserting 'ath9k.ko': -1 Invalid module format
>
> and dmesg says:
>
> [82375.379869] ath9k: no symbol version for struct_module
>
> I looked up for this error: http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/6/22/1
>
> It says that I am supposed to have compiled the kernel being used and
> the module in question both with CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=Y
>
> I do know that my .config file has CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=Y and I also
> verified it by checking the CRC tags which are generated as a result
> such configuration during compilation according to this:
> http://www.skynet.ie/~mark/home/kernel/symbols.html
>
> But what I am stuck on is how to compile a kernel module with
> CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=Y, I suppose when I run make for the pulled code,
> it uses this tag inherently for modules also but I am not sure about
> that.
>
> So what am I missing her which would compile the module right to be
> plugged into a slightly older kernel version?

You can't do that, you would need a backport. We have automatic
backports available at:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download

that's bleeding edge though, from wireless-testing, if you want 2.6.30
stuff check out:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download/stable/

  Luis