Search Linux Wireless

Re: Cross compiling libnl, iw, crda and friends

Jon Loeliger wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Am I missing an obvious solution to cross compiling libnl, iw,
> the crda and related friends?
>
> I have a cross-compiled kernel and headers and such, and I'd
> like to add the various wireless tools into the mix, but I
> think the existing Makefiles are basically unaware of cross
> compiling.
>
> I think there are a couple points of confusion.  While we need
> to compile on the host machine, we need to point to the target
> include files which may not be installed in standard locations.
> The resulting libraries, though, need to be installed in standard
> locations on the target.  This combination doesn't seem to be
> recordable in the pkg-config files (libnl-2.0.pc, for example).
>
> Then things like crda and iw need to use the headers from the
> cross-build installation and the cross-kernel, not the host's.
>
> Also, crda seems to have hard paths for the regulatory.bin.
> I want to point to my source package for the build, but then
> install it into a standard location on the target.  Feh.
>
> I feel like I'm missing something here...?
>
> Thanks,
> jdl
>

> --

Hi,

I did cross-compile libnl for ARMv5 CPU a few months ago. What you need is a tool-chain (a gcc that runs or your computer but compile code for target machine and the glibc). In your Makefile or configure (I don't remember, but if you are patient I can have a look soon), you'll have to add the tool-chain's include file (can also tell you the path soon) to the CFLAGS variable (CFLAGS += -I/path/to/the/tool-chain's/include).

http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/ may help you for your tool-chain

Best regards,

Alexandre

PS: If your target machine is an ARM, I have 3 tool-chains: gcc 3.4.3, gcc 4.1.x (fails with the weak attribute if I remember well) and gcc 4.2.x, if that's interest you...