Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL 8185

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Barkle <barkle@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a pci-card with a RTL8185 chip.
> [01:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8185 IEEE
> 802.11a/b/g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 20)]
>
> Base on a Debian Lenny with
> kernel 2.6.30-rc5
> wpasupplicant v0.6.9
> wireless_tools 30
>
> I can change some parameter on the card with iwconfig, for example the
> channel, but every time I try to get the card to work, the kernel freeze.
>
> Now I´m not sure, if this mailinglist is the right one, because it may be a
> problem of the hardware, the kernel or some userland tools.
>
> If you need any additional information, please ask me an I try to answer
> asap.

Yes, this is the right list - a few things:
1) dmesg should show a few line of info, including a line like this:

wlan0: hwaddr XX:XX:XX:XX;XX:XX <chip_name> + <rf_type>

we need at least that line, and anything else that's relevant in dmesg.

2) what do you mean by 'kernel freeze'? e.g. if you do it without X,
do you get a pile of
cryptic messages before lock up (if that's the case)? If there is, try
to take a picture of it with a digital camera;
if you computer is still operational, please cut-and-paste that to the reply.

Also, describe what exactly did you try to do, step by step.

3) have you tried compat-wireless? compat-wireless is ahead of
2.6.30-rcX and occasionally have fixes to bugs which creeps into the
rc's...