Search Linux Wireless

Re: Throughput is not changed when setting to a much higher bit rate

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 3:38 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 08:00 +0800, Dongas wrote:

>> > Definitely.  With libertas, the largest class of issues by *far* that
>> > we've seen are controller related.  I seem to recall that I've pulled
>> > about 6Mbps through the card using a normal Ricoh controller from a
>> > Fujitsu laptop.  I can recheck that.
>>
>> AFAIK, most old laptop ,including my x61, doesn't support SDIO in HW.
>> So did Ricoh controller you tested use polling mode to handle SDIO IRQ?
>> Which clock of controller and which bit rate did you test?
>
> Actually, most of the older machines *can* do SDIO, those made from
> about 2006 - 2009.  These days a lot of the SD "controllers" are
> actually USB-based mass-storage converters and cannot do SDIO, they are
> essentially 10-in-1 cardreaders.
>
> What is the 'lspci' output for your Thinkpad?  If the controller isn't
> in 'lspci' but is in 'lsusb', then it's quite unlikely to work because
> of the above reason, I think.

Right, you need a real SDIO (vs. SD storage) controller on the PCI
bus.  However I can confirm that the ThinkPad X61 (and T61) controller
does full SDIO and you can plug Libertas SDIO cards into it.  The
older X-series ThinkPads (I tried the X40 and X41) work great too.