Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ath9k-devel] ath9k module-Unable to set channel-since ath comes

Jouni Malinen <jouni.malinen@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 01:35 -0700, Davide Pesavento wrote:
>> I've already reported ath9k's issues with PS multiple times [1] [2]
>> [3], but the driver hasn't been fixed yet. You can find a verbose
>> debugging output at [4], I hope that helps in fixing the problem (I
>> can provide even more info if needed and I'm willing to test patches).
>
> I submitted a set of patches to resolve some of the PS issues in ath9k.
> I would expect these to hit wireless-testing.git eventually, but if you
> are willing to test the changes before that, you can find the patches
> from http://w1.fi/p/ps/
>
> One thing to note here is that there are still some issues with the
> timeout=0 case (use of PS-Poll to fetch buffered frames) which is
> enabled with "iwconfig wlan0 power on", so at this point, I would
> recommend running the test either with the default wireless-testing.git
> PS mode setting or by enabling power saving with "iwconfig wlan0 power
> timeout 500ms" which should result in the same configuration.

Most probably that's because mac80211 does not disable power save mode
when sending PS-Poll frames. So stlc45xx does not require disable of PSM
but then again ath9k requires it, we need to solve this somehow.

I have been thinking about separating power save mode and firmware
wakeup/sleep modes from each other in mac80211 API. To me it looks like
ath9k does more like firmware wakeup/sleep when power save mode is
changing. But this is just a wild idea, I have no idea if it's practical
or not.

--
Kalle Valo