Search Linux Wireless

Re: rt73usb Access point status

On Sun, 17 May 2009 09:47:04 +0100
Jon Fairbairn <jon.fairbairn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ugh. But Microsoft make the de-facto standards after all :-(
> -- for a view that's illuminating, if depressing and
> annoying to those of us who think there's a point to
> compatibility, watch the talk Butler Lampson gave for Roger
> Needham's 50+5 presentation
> <http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/cambridge/events/needhambook/videos/1032/head.wmv>
> (list of talks is at
> <http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/cambridge/events/needhambook/videos/default.htm>)

Haven't used Windows seriously in over a decade, but as far as WiFi drivers I think there is no
standards. Windows drivers are just like the vendor drivers for Linux: everyone is doing their
own thing. AFAIK only Linux has a framework for WiFi drivers and it should be praised for that as
it makes WiFi configuration so much more consistent (and therefore easier) for the user.

> > I am awaiting a patch from Alexandre which will add that same behavior
> > to rt2x00.
>
> That would be great, thanks!

Yes that would be great indeed, no more patching hostapd, but there should be a warning about the fragile nature of this.

--
Christoph .J Thompson <cjsthompson@xxxxxxxxx>