Search Linux Wireless

Re: Scan while TX/RX'ing a lot of data

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> True however I'm inclined to believe that generally when you are
>>> sending or receiving a lot of data you are stationary so roaming might
>>> not be that urgent. For 802.11p (vehicle stuff) I suppose this may be
>>> a bit different but I have yet to see this take off.
>>
>> I'll believe 11p when I see it somewhere :)  But anyway, yeah, there are
>> tricks we can play here, and I'm happy to entertain methods of making
>> the scanning hit less annoying.  I'm simply opposed to a checkbox in the
>> UI for "never scan while connected" because that's a pure cop-out: we
>> should be making things intelligent, not taking the half-assed approach
>> like people (nobody here of course) have been whining about for a long
>> time.  Scanning isn't something the user should have to care about or
>> turn on or off; it's something that NetworkManager (in concert with
>> usage information from the stack) should be able to handle
>> automatically.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Maybe if there was a way to figure out how full mac80211's QoS buckets
>> were, that would help?  Or get a frame counts from each of the 4 QoS
>> buckets individually?  That would allow NM to make more intelligent
>> decisions about stuff.  Maybe a more detailed nl80211 stats interface
>> would do the trick here.
>
> Would help for debugging too anyway, since QOS uses the new device
> queues maybe that might already be available?

>>> Good point, how about we use pm_qos for disabling scan when we are
>>> sending a lot of data (whatever we define this to mean)? Then
>>> applications can just write to this pm_qos stuff and you won't see
>>> this.
>>>
>>> I forget when pm_qos was introduced though.
>>
>> Yeah, something like that, although it's sometimes hard to go from app
>> -> interface;
>
> Yeah at least pm_qos is not device specific IIRC.
>
>> if you have a wired interface connected at the same time,
>> but the thing you're sucking down data from is on the wifi interface,
>> we'd need some way to figure that out.
>
> Point taken.
>
>> Hence the idea about exposing
>> the packet counts of the WMM queues or something like that.
>
> I think this is a good idea, although it wouldn't solve anything for
> people stuck on old userspace (my oldest target is distributions
> releases circa 2.6.27). Not sure what is best for that case. The
> kernel could be informed of the lack of userspace regulating this and
> then take some reasonable action. What the reasonable action and the
> terms for that remain unclear to me.

OK so what if we just let let old wext scan be just a dump of the
current bss list provided we do selective scanning once per channel
throughout a period of time.

For new userspace can obviously do whatever we like but since we'd
implement the above we could just let this automatic scanning can be
tweaked for roaming purpose with exposed knobs. That is -- make the
code so that it can be tweaked to act like a regular good old scan or
take breaks throughout.

If you're already associated it makes little sense to be scanning all
over. If you're not associated it makes sense to do the good old scan
we're used to. Of course this would just be fof mac80211 and cfg80211
drivers, old wext will obviously still behave the same for old
hardware.

Meh?

  Luis