Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFT v9] rfkill: rewrite

On Tue, 12 May 2009, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 13:59 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > Please leave rfkill-input available as a module, at least until the bug
> > > I reported in my previous e-mail 'Soft Lockup With rfkill_input and
> > > thinkpad_acpi' is resolved.  Otherwise it will render Thinkpads, and
> > > possibly other systems, unusable with rfkill enabled.
> >
> > The problem gets fixed where the problem is at...  if the actual root
> > cause is in the rfkill rewrite, then maybe Johannes should take a look.
>
> We don't even know yet whether the bug is present after the rewrite!
>
> > If the actual root cause is a bug in thinkpad-acpi, then it shouldn't
> > block the rfkill rewrite, but should be fixed in thinkpad-acpi.
>
> Unfortunately thinkpad-acpi hasn't been ported yet in my rewrite, so we
> can't know. I've poked hmh, but if he doesn't respond soon I'll do a
> crude port and ask Will to test it.

Hmm, I did get your email, but I am overworked and nearing a burn out due
to real-life issues, so I didn't answer right away.  I will see if I can
get something usable by Sunday (I usually get some opportunity to unwind
and work on the kernel during the weekend), but I will not complain if you
come up with something quick-and-dirty should I fail to deliver.

As for the issue Dan reported, I have _no_ _idea_ of what it might be
causing it, and a bissect would help wonders.  It will have to be fixed
anyway (even if it is also fixed by the rfkill rewrite) if it is hosing
2.6.30 :-(

  Henrique Holschuh