Search Linux Wireless

Rfkill rewrite: eeepc-laptop resume

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 10:43 +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:
>

>> 1) I think we need to add a resume method to eeepc-laptop.
>>
>> Without this, funny things happen when I hibernate, disable wireless in
>> the BIOS, and resume:
>>
>>     ath5k phy0: failed to wake up the MAC chip
>>
>> It's an really stupid thing to do, but it can happen.  It's bad from a
>> UI point of view.  E.g. in network-manager, you can see a "wlan0"
>> device, but it doesn't work.
>>
>> The EEE rfkill is unusual in that it hotplugs the PCI device, making
>> eeepc-laptop something like a custom pci hotplug driver.  With your
>> rewrite, eeepc-laptop doesn't notice the state change on resume.
>> Previously, the rfkill-core would restore the pre-hibernation state,
>> which would sort everything out.  I don't think anything else does this,
>> so we can just add a resume method to eeepc-laptop.  The resume method
>> would re-check the state and do the PCI hotplug dance if necessary.
>>
>> If you agree, I can do the patch for this and send it to you.
>>

> Sounds good to me, yeah.
>
> I could make the rfkill core do that at resume, but I'm not really sure
> it's what we want -- there are too many cases imho:
>  * hard rfkill might have changed
>  * soft rfkill might still be ok in hw
>  * soft rfkill might need reconfiguring
> etc. I think generally it's saner to let the driver sort it out -- it
> can always ask for the current state by using set_hw_state() or so.

API nit:

 * This function tells the rfkill core that the device is capable of
 * remembering soft blocks (which it is notified of via the set_block
 * method) -- this means that the driver may ignore the return value
 * from rfkill_set_hw_state().

Doesn't this conflict with the declaration of rfkill_set_sw_state() as
__must_check?

Ta
Alan