Search Linux Wireless

Re: [Proposal]TX flags

On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 03:24 +0200, Gábor Stefanik wrote:

> > I see the point that Michael is making.  What do you think?  Shall
> > we treat it as a 2-bit wide unsigned integer field in the Tx flags,
> > instead?
> >

> IMO that is a good idea, if we accept having non-booleans in a flags
> field. In that case, this proposal comes to my mind:
> -Define the second and third bits (mask 0x0006) as a quad-state flag
> indicating the use of RTS/CTS. So, we can have these values for the
> flag (accessible as (TXFlags & 0x0006) >> 1):
> 0: neither
> 1: rts
> 2: cts
> 3: auto-select (only makes sense when sending & during feature discovery).

Like I said -- this doesn't help for feature discovery because there you
may need to say "only 0 and 2 are valid values", or maybe "only 3 is a
valid value".

I also don't like _setting_ bits for automatic -- I have a nagging
feeling that leaving out the entire field should be more similar to
setting it to all-zero, rather than all-ones. It cannot ever be exactly
the same for most fields, but still...

> Also, a proposal for feature discovery:
> The userspace can send a packet that consists of nothing but a
> "christmas tree" radiotap header, with no payload, but with all fields
> and flags set that are known by the userspace app. The response could
> be another payloadless radiotap header, copying the bits set by
> userspace, but unsetting the ones not supported by the hardware. This
> way, the response packet has all flags set that are supported by both
> the sender and the userspace app.

Let's keep that out of this thread -- but let me note that this has no
advantages (and a disadvantage in complicating the API and requiring
parsing) over unilaterally sending those bits supported by the driver --
after all the app could do it the other way and unset whatever it cannot
support in the full bitmap the driver gave it.

johannes