Search Linux Wireless

Re: VT6656 driver source now GPL

Hi,

[Re-added Cc's, hope you hadn't dropped them on purpose.  Sorry for spamming if
they were trimmed deliberately.]

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 07:24:10PM -0500, Larry Finger wrote:
> Forest Bond wrote:
>
> > I'm getting the sense that there is not a lot of developer interest in these
> > drivers.  Is there anything I can do to aid in getting these drivers into the
> > kernel?
> >
> > I would be willing to send patches, however, my experience with kernel hacking
> > is limited and I don't have a lot of time available to contribute.  With a
> > little direction, though, I might be able to get somewhere.
> >
> > Any input would be appreciated.
>
> You might be able to get it added to the drivers/staging directory - that is
> where the c r a p drivers that have no chance of making it to mainline are put.
>
> To see what is wrong with that driver, compare its coding style to that of any
> driver in the drivers/net/wireless directory tree.
>
> A second problem is that no new drivers that implement a software-based MAC
> layer are likely to be accepted - this driver would have to be modified to use
> mac80211.

Great, this is enough to get started, at least.  I assume that the quality bar
is low for code in drivers/staging.  Low quality work is a trademark of mine, so
I should be able to tackle this. ;)

Is there any reason I ought to think that it would be easier to get this
accepted in linux-staging than drivers/staging?  I'll admit that I feel better
about the layout of drivers/staging than I do about the quilt stuff in
linux-staging.

Thanks,
Forest
--