Search Linux Wireless

Re: What is needed to inplement a AP support in a driver?

Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I recently found that now ath5k supports AP mode.
> I also found that most of the work is now done in userspace.
>
> Since many drivers including my IWL3945 support sending beacons for IBSS
> (strictly speaking userspace can send them too, but this is  sub
> optimal), what else driver must support for AP?
>
> Sending to several stations ? (IBSS already has this), have several
> virtual devices (this is optional feature), what else?

At least sending multicast/broadcast frames immediately after DTIM
beacons. This is needed for clients in power save mode.

> Why iwl3945 still doesn't support AP mode?

No idea. I recall Intel talking about having patches to support AP mode
for iwl3945, but quick googling didn't reveal anything. All I found was
this from Tomas:

"We've enabled only iwl4965, not so ever effort was done for iwl3945

[...]

In general there should not problem to extend AP mode also for 3945 on
PC platform"

http://osdir.com/ml/linux.drivers.ipw3945.devel/2007-11/msg00184.html

It would be really nice to get AP mode support for iwl3945.
Unfortunately I don't have any spare time to work on that, but if you
are planning to work on it I (and others) can give you email support via
this mailing list.

--
Kalle Valo