Search Linux Wireless

Application for Linux Wireless GSoC 2009 Project

The Mentors
Improving Wireless Roaming
Linux Wireless GSoC 2009
Linux Foundation.

Sub:  Application for Linux Wireless GSoC 2009 Project.

Hi my name is Ashwin Raut. I am currently pursuing my Masters degree at San
Jose State University, San Jose, CA,USA in Computer Engineering with Embedded
Systems as my specialization. I have done my Bachelors in Electronics and
Telecommunication Engineering.

I am applying to work for the Linux Foundation Google Summer of Code 2009
project Improving Linux Wireless roaming which involves implementing triggers
for efficient AP handoffs.

Project Idea:

What I think of it is that one way of implementing this is to improve the
present background scanning mechanism by making it periodically active. That is
the RSSI beacon scan will take place after a specific interval of time say
around 200 ms and based on this , the information of the strongest signal AP’s
can be collected by profiling the signal strengths from AP’s. So that over a
period of time only those AP’s will be scanned that provide good signal
strength which is above the predetermined threshold level. If there is
possibility that no AP provides signal strength above the predetermined
threshold then the scanning will be made broader. This will help in deciding
the next best AP to connect to if the signal strength of existing AP is
degrading over period of time. So either user can decide what to do or that
functionality can also be provided in algorithm. Now this type of active
scanning can reduce the overheads taking place in continuous scanning.
The triggering mechanism will use the above information and decide when to
switch between Access points. There are two important points in this, first the
triggering will take place only when the signal strength of the current AP is
degrading over a period of time specified by us or if the signal strength
suddenly goes below the signal threshold level, and secondly we can also
consider the AP selection based on the traffic load on that AP’s as one of the
AP determining factors.
I would like to implement it mainly in C++ but use any other language like C,
Python as substitute or along with it is ok with me.

My Background details:
I use x86 hardware Architecture with Fedora 9 as Operating system as well as
Windows Vista. I use C and C++ for coding. Presently, I am working as research
assistant in my university where my principle role is to implement TDMA MAC
Layer in Software Defined Radio i.e GNU Radio with USRP hardware. Here I am
implementing MAC layer Functionality in Click Modular router in C++ and the
wrapping it with Python to port it to GNU Radio in Fedora 9.I am also surveying
various MAC layers and localization techniques used in Wireless Sensor
Networks. I am familiar with working on Linux character Device Drivers and
porting Linux on ARM based embedded systems as that’s part of my degree
specialization.

I would like to work on this project as this will give me a great opportunity
to work on an Open Source project and apply my skills to contribute in its
development .

I would be available to work full time from 27 th march 2009 as soon as I
finish my final exams. I would also like to know more about this project and
the application procedure.
Please let me know if you need more information.I am very sorry for being so
late.

Regards,
Ashwin Raut
MS Computer Engineering,