Search Linux Wireless

Re: rfkill-input madness

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Johannes Berg wrote:
>         ******IMPORTANT******
>         When rfkill-input is ACTIVE, userspace is NOT TO CHANGE THE STATE OF AN RFKILL
>         SWITCH IN RESPONSE TO AN INPUT EVENT also handled by rfkill-input, unless it
>         has set to true the user_claim attribute for that particular switch.  This rule
>         is *absolute*; do NOT violate it.
>         ******IMPORTANT******

>         When rfkill-input is not active, userspace must initiate a rfkill status
>         change by writing to the "state" attribute in order for anything to happen.
>

> How the hell is userspace supposed to know whether rfkill-input is
> active or not? Does anybody fucking care to implement any of this mess
> in userspace?

I think rephrasing that warning to: "set user_claim to 1 on any switches
that you're going to mess with in response to rfkill input events" would be
a LOT better.  I should have written it that way.

The truth is that userspace doestn't have to care about rfkill-input, unless
it is trying to do what rfkill-input is supposed to (i.e. listening to input
events and then trying to update switches), and if it is going to do that,
it needs stuff that I never sent in for review.

Anyway, I got sidetracked because I was Not Happy with the userspace ABI but
couldn't come up with anything better.  Better at least get those patches
into the open.  I just pushed a rebased version of the patches to somewhere
public.

It is at:
git://repo.or.cz/linux-2.6/linux-acpi-2.6/ibm-acpi-2.6.git rfkill

Please take a look and tell me what you think, and whether there is anything
worth bothering with in there (FWIW, the patchset worked just fine last time
I checked).

As for your second question, I have been looking at the issues re. input
devices and X.org evdev in the last two days, and the fact is that: it will
have to be handled in userspace on most non-embedded scenarios, if things
don't change in userspace soon.

The problem is that X.org will exclusive-grab any input devices you let it
touch, and rfkill_input will never see any events, anyway.   So, right now,
for the vast majority of the users, either an input device is not in use, or
it is in exclusive-grab mode feeding X.org evdev.

At this point, I don't have a clue on what would be the best way to go about
addressing this issue, that is causing problems not only to rfkill_input,
but also to anyone who would like to have hotkey handling outside of X.org
in a system daemon, but still have x.org see the keys (without ugly 'event
repeater' hacks).

I have no idea if we should talk to the X.org people to see if we can drop
that exclusive grab?  Allow kernel-side input handlers to ignore exclusive
grabs?  Have rfkill-input be a you-want-it-in-the-kernel solution and simply
don't care at all about userspace interfering with it?

I was about to try to locate someone that deals with evdev to ask his ideas
on the subject.

  Henrique Holschuh