Search Linux Wireless

Re: p54spi - mesh mode summary

>> 3) Beaconing works, but not the way it should: like MPs don't hear each other. Timestamps never get in sync
>> and both MPs issue beacon during 0.1s beacon interval.
>> I've seen it before, with stlc45xx. It shows when LMAC is set up with LMAC_SETUP_IBSS | LMAC_SETUP_TRANSPARENT flags.
>> If there's no LMAC_SETUP_TRANSPARENT flag in LMAC setup then timestamps get in sync.
>
> FYI: The TSF will always reset when a new beacon is submitted to the firmware.
> The specs talks about that.

I'd like to make it clear: there are timestamp field in the beacon and
timestamp associated with the received packet. These two do not
correlate. First gets reset at beacon submission (and why firmware
wouldn't pick up timestamp from the submitted beacon?). The second
only gets reset on firmware reset. And it seems to me that there's no
way to find out, what the current value of beacon timestamp is. TSF
reported in p54_rx_data is the second.

And if so, how timestamp syncing is expected to work in the following case:

<7>[  353.579189] RX beacon SA=00:1d:6e:9b:ee:6d
BSSID=7e:2e:03:09:31:25 TSF=0x4aaa81 BCN=0x618f1f6 diff=-97404789
@1513
<7>[  353.579250] wlan0: beacon TSF higher than local TSF - IBSS merge
with BSSID 7e:2e:03:09:31:25

After which stack submit new beacon which we send to LMAC, effectively
resetting timestamp in our beacon and not affecting TSF that we would
report on the next received frame.

I see constant beacon resubmission cycle. How does it work on pci/usb p54?

>> - when LMAC was set up with LMAC_SETUP_TRANSPARENT flag firmware seem to truncate last 2 bytes of the packet
>>   that it reports.
> Heh, that's also a ISL3887 (USB 2nd gen) bug... But PCI devices are not affected.
> The reason "why" has probably to do with the firmware's frame alignment code.
> Unfortunately the firmware for (ISL3887 and SPI) is rounding "down" to 4 bytes instead of up...
> So the FCS will be clipped... But fortunately the firmware set a bit in the header that tells
> us whenever the frames was corrupted or not (P54_HDR_FLAG_DATA_IN_FCS_GOOD).
Thank you for the explanation, it made me feel much better (:

> what happens if you change p54spi_rx the following way:?
Actually, I did this kind of thing. And it works this way.
But I considered it a major hack, as noone acknowledged that there's a
firmware problem:

https://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/stlc45xx-devel/2009-January/000126.html

But if there's real problem in firmware, I'd consider it mere
workaround and put it back.

--
Max