Search Linux Wireless

Re: rtl8187 bug report

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:06:49PM +0100, G?bor Stefanik wrote:
> Could you please test if you can see packets originating from your
> network in Kismet or Wireshark?
> Also, did you use the included airmon-ng script to enable monitor
> mode, or did you just do "ifconfig wlan0 down; iwconfig wlan0 mode
> monitor, ifconfig wlan0 up"? (The two are significantly different, as
> airmon-ng uses iw/nl80211 to enable monitor mode on a separate
> interface - it would be good if you tried it both ways.)

I have actually seen similar problems with the 8187 (unknown if it is B
or L - the drivers think it's B, but the production run of the hardware
is NORMALLY L and may have recently changed;  I have known-B generic cards
and maybe-B Alfa cards)

Kismet currently still uses setsiociwmode to set monitor mode on at
interface, it only uses nl80211 when you're starting a device with an
aux vap for rfmon.

I haven't been able to narrow down the trigger, but I've seen current
(.28 + compat-wireless 02-05 and 03-16) drivers stop reporting any
packets from the device a few minutes into run.  It isn't linked to
changing channel (tested with and without), and I've been told that when
it happens on multi-card systems it disables all other cards as well
(ath5k in this case).

Symptoms are the card stops reporting packets in monitor mode; tcpdump
also stops showing packets, ifdown/ifup doesn't reset the card to a
working state.

This occurs with a single VAP being set to down/monitor/up.

-m

--
Mike Kershaw/Dragorn <dragorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
GPG Fingerprint: 3546 89DF 3C9D ED80 3381  A661 D7B2 8822 738B BDB1

Todays lesson is always to ignore your feelings and listen to the robot head.