Search Linux Wireless

Re: GSoC project proposals

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 7:42 AM, John W. Linville
<linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 03:36:00AM +0200, Mircea Gherzan wrote:
>
>> I'm a CS student (undergrad) wanting to do a wireless-related project
>> for the Google Summer of Code.
>>
>> As advised by Johannes Berg, I am posting on here in order to know the
>> mentors and to get a better understanding of the requierements.
>>
>> From the publised list, I am most interested in the roaming project.
>> Please, can anyone tell me who will be mentoring it, so I cand get in
>> touch with him/her?
>
> I think Luis Rodriguez penned the descriptions of those projects,
> so he might be the best person to ask about them.  In any case,
> I would be happy to mentor such a project if you so desire.

This is what we have, through some brainstorming on IRC and a few
e-mails with a few people.

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009#802.11_Wireless

The application deadline was last Friday, March 13, 2009 so I suppose
that went in as-is. I volunteered a few people but if there are others
willing to help mentor some of these projects please just go right
ahead and add your name to the list or let me know and I'll add you.

So there are three GSoC project ideas listed there:

* Add AP support to Network Manager
* Improve wireless roaming
* Integrate GeoClue to help with regulatory compliance

The last one is the one which I hope to be able to mentor the most on
but will also obviously need some help from Dan. That one is also
being reviewed in conjunction with a similar project idea for GNOME
GSoC:

http://live.gnome.org/SummerOfCode2009/Ideas

Seems GeoClue is welcomed for many reasons onto the desktop.

Whether or not these GSoC projects get picked up by Google I still
think its worth to put this out there and see if people are will pick
some of this work up.

OK so as for the question about roaming -- I'm up to help mentor it.
Anyone else?

  Luis