Search Linux Wireless

Re: rtl8187 - nice work!

>> Installed the compat-wireless-2009-03-10 and the speed has greatly
>> improved. Thanks very much.
>>
>> I do have some observations that might be a bug or just configuration.
>>
>> When powering up, the wireless decided on 54M as its bit rate.
>> Consequently, tcp was patchy at best - losing packets whilst pinging,
>> ssh
>> failing to connect. Setting the rate back to a fixed 11M solves this and
>> gives good speed. Interestingly, performance declines as I up the bit
>> rate
>> from 11 to 18 etc...
>
> It is probably a bug. My Netgear WG111V2 with an RTL8187L chip is
> perfectly
> happy running at 48 or 54 Mb/s with a transmit throughput of 21-23 Mb/s -
> close
> to the maximum for an 802.11g network. There are, however, other reports
> like
> yours where the OFDM rates (6, 9, 18, 24, 36, 48, and 54 Mb/s) don't work
> very
> well. It seems that not all 8187's are the same.
>
> What rate-setting algorithm are you using? Use 'dmesg | grep rate' to see
> that.
> I would have expected it to have settled into 11 Mb/s. Perhaps the auto
> retry
> hasn't really been turned off.

dmesg says ->
phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'pid'

which is a first as it has always been 'mistral'. The only difference with
compiling last night was I was not running the kernel I compiled against.
I used 'make KLIB=/usr/src/{my new kernel} KLIB_BUILD=/usr/src/{my new
kernel}' instead.

Just recompiled while running {my new kernel} and mistral correctly
selected as rate control algorithm. Once installed, it does correctly auto
select rate as expected.

iperf shows Mb performance has dropped though but gets improved by again
fixing the rate at 11Mb.

So cheers for the info.

Regards

PGR

--
Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded
perversity? Have you ever considered a career in the church?
Bishop of Bath and Wells (Blackadder II)