Search Linux Wireless

Re: rtl8187 in Toshiba L300 linux troubles

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:12 PM, Jorge Munoz <jorgeroden1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It's all right. I have followed all the steps written in compat-wireless
> (http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#Buildingandinstalling) and it
> works!
> First of all I have had to install build-essential and
> linux-headers-2.6.27-11-generic  in my ubuntu based distro
> (www.molinux.info) compilation has done without any error (very clean).
> This is a key improvement, now  the signal level is better and wireless
> traffic isn't interrupted. Good job. Thank you.
>
> In order to help my colleagues I would like you to advice me about next
> issue. Ubuntu has a linux-backports-modules-2.6.27-11-generic but your
> improvement isn't on it yet. The problem is that this package includes
> others modules for Toshiba L300 hardware support (webcam, ...) and should be
> necessary install it. My question is if I can install the rtl8187.ko file
> directly (without compilation process) in another L300 laptop after
> upgrading the system with linux-backports-modules-2.6.27-11-generic.
> Thanks again

Kernel modules are matched to the specific kernel version (and
archtecture). I am not familiar with Ubuntu,
but in fact any of your colleague could just
1) copy your /lib/modules/<kver>/updates/ recursively
2) run "depmod -a"
3) either reboot or unload and reload the kernel module with "modprobe
-r rtl8187" then "modprobe -v rtl8187"

In fact step two is probably not necessary if you choose to reboot,
since depmod is often run just based on time-stamp at boot up.

I assume your question is just whether step 1) would work - the answer
is yes, provided you run depmod afterwards, or equivalent. You
actually don't need to copy the whole of that 40+ modules from
compar-wireless, just 4:
rtl8187
mac80211
eeprom_93cx6