Search Linux Wireless

Re: Atheros (madwifi/ath5k) virtual STA support

Catalin Patulea wrote:
Hi linux-wireless,

I'm interested in virtual STA support in madwifi and/or ath5k on an
AR5414 (AR5006XS). Specifically, I want one physical wireless adapter
to act as an infrastructure client on multiple networks. I understand
the network will most likely need to be on the same channel.

This is currently prohibited by the madwifi driver (haven't looked at
ath5k thoroughly). What's the underlying reason for this? Someone on
IRC mentioned powersaving, beacon handling and "other reasons". Can
anyone elaborate?

Secondly, what is the procedure to get hardware documentation from
Atheros? I'm specifically interested in the AR5414 datasheet.
I have an old hacked up madwifi driver that supports this, and I'm currently
funding the development of this feature for ath5k, so hopefully it will
be available soon.  We will be integrating this feature set into our network
traffic generator tool, but I also hope that the patches get into the main kernel
for all to use freely.

Thanks,
Ben

Thanks,