Search Linux Wireless

Re: Atheros (madwifi/ath5k) virtual STA support

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez
<lrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please use linux-wireless only for upstream drivers like ath5k or ath9k.
Apologies for that, I will direct my madwifi questions to the
project's mailing list.

I had actually meant my question in a driver-agnostic sense as well
("Are there any hardware limitations blocking virtual STA support?"),
and hoped I could harvest the brains of the knowledgeable people on
linux-wireless regardless of project affiliation. ;-) Regardless, I
got my answer.

> You will most likely see this first implemented in ath9k. Work is underway
> for just that.
Who's working on this? Any time estimates (not making demands, just
asking)? Also, I was under the impression that ath9k is only meant for
802.11n chipsets (as opposed to abg), and therefore that AR5414 would
not be supported. What am I missing?

In truth, I should stop sending mails and just try it on my device. I
haven't. If there's no more information on the topic, I'm open to the
good old "try it and tell us if it works" ;-).

> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Documentation/specs#Atherosspecifications
Thanks!

Catalin