Search Linux Wireless

Re: rfkill: how murderous can it be ?

Dan Williams wrote:
> Instead of putting a bunch of
> complexity in the kernel and drivers that *already* has to be in
> userspace, just punt it out to userspace where it's already done and
> works well.

That's the way I like things :-) Can the information user space may
have to recover include DHCP leases and routes ? I.e., can an rfkill
implementation choose to just restart the network interface ?

Next: what happens while the device is rfkill'ed ? E.g., is it okay to
just remove the interface, so any attempt to configure the interface
while it's rfkill'ed would yield an ENODEV ?

Basically, could rfkill block/unblock semantics just be equivalent to
removal and reloading of the module containing the respective WLAN
device driver ? (Ignoring any response time issues for now.)

- Werner