Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC][RFT] fix iwlagn hw-rfkill while the interface is down

Hi Dan,

> > > Right; I meant polling in *iwl3945* every 2 - 4 seconds or so, not from
> > > userspace.  Userspace should still listen for the rfkill uevents (not
> > > that HAL does yet, but...)
> >
> > you actually could use libudev for it directly. That is what I am doing
> > right now. Works pretty smooth.
>
> Do what with libudev?  Poll the register directly?  Or hit some sysfs
> file that eventually polls the register?  And you said "it's not the
> responsibility of userspace to make this work with quirks" which to me
> says you'd prefer this polling to be done in the driver, not
> userspace...  no?

with libudev you can listen on udev events that translate directly from
uevent from the kernel. Don't confuse libudev with the broken libsysfs
attempt.

And this comment was meant in response for HAL not being able to notify
you of rfkill state changes. You don't need HAL for this if you want
proper support for rfkill events.

The iwl3945 driver has to do the polling of the rfkill register if the
firmware is not loaded. There is nothing we can or should do in
userspace.

Regards

Marcel