Search Linux Wireless

Re: rt2500usb vs rt73usb

On Sunday 28 December 2008, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-12-28 at 10:34 +0100, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 December 2008, Piter PUNK wrote:
>
> > > If the those 148f:2573 USB devices doesn't exists or
> > > if they exists and works fine with rt73usb, can we
> > > remove 148f:2573 from rt2500usb?
> >
> > No we can't, you can blame manufacturers for shipping
> > USB sticks with different chipsets but the exact same USB ID.
>
> Maybe there are some hints on the USB level that would make it possible
> to distinguish between the devices without loading the driver?
> Something like the number of endpoints?  Then we could ask USB
> developers to provide a way to specify them in the USB devece table.

Number of endpoints varies, your rt73usb device only has 2 endpoints, while
mine appears to have 5.
The only thing the driver is doing now is reading the EEPROM and double checking
the first 2 bytes to see which device has been loaded.

> I have a device that works with rt73usb, but not rt2500usb.  I'm
> attaching the output of "lsusb -v" for the device.  If we look at
> similar information for other devices, we could find out how to
> distinguish them.

Please note that some manufacturers (most notorious example Linksys) managed
to get 5 different chipsets under a single USB ID. chipsets came from Broadcom,
Ralink and Prism.

For what it is worth, I am attaching the lsusb -v output from my hardware
(both rt73usb as well as rt2500usb).

Ivo
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0681:3c06 Siemens Information and Communication Products
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x0681 Siemens Information and Communication Products
  idProduct          0x3c06
  bcdDevice            0.01
  iManufacturer           1 ANI
  iProduct                2 802.11g W
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              300mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
  bLength                10
  bDescriptorType         6
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0000
  (Bus Powered)

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 2001:3c00 D-Link Corp. [hex] DWL-G122 802.11g rev. B1 [ralink]
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x2001 D-Link Corp. [hex]
  idProduct          0x3c00 DWL-G122 802.11g rev. B1 [ralink]
  bcdDevice            0.01
  iManufacturer           1 ANI
  iProduct                2 802.11g WLAN Adapter
[...]
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 1044:8008 Chu Yuen Enterprise Co., Ltd
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x1044 Chu Yuen Enterprise Co., Ltd
  idProduct          0x8008
  bcdDevice            0.01
  iManufacturer           1 Ralink
  iProduct                2 802.11 bg WLAN
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           53
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          4
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              300mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           5
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              5
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5