Search Linux Wireless

Re: false alarm - Re: throughput problem with rtl8187B within last few days (again)?

--- On Sat, 20/12/08, Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am really sorry about the false alarm - apparently
> doing
> > "mke2fs -c -c " on a USB disk on the same
> hub does very bad things to the throughput of USB wireless
> device, or rtl8187 specifically. Normal disk usages (copying
> large files) has no effect at all, so I guess we'll just
> have to avoid mke2fs or possibly also e2fsck too often :-).
>
> It must do a lot of reads/writes and occupies both USB
> bandwidth and the USB
> queues. I've never even formatted a USB disk. Having
> more than one hub has
> advantages.

Yes, must be; However, it is interesting that normal usage (copying files between two partitions on the new disk) does not interfere with the wireless driver, compared to doing mke2fs/badblock/e2fsck .

My rtl8187B is an integrated part of a (toshiba) laptop - interesting enough lsusb shows 6 buses (one USB 2.0 root hub and 5 USB 1.1 root hubs),
but all 4 external USB sockets are wired up to the that one USB 2.0 root hub for which the internal rtl8187B is also on.

Maybe because it was coming from *@sourceforge.net .