Search Linux Wireless

Re: mwifiex firmware mrvl/sd8987_uapsta.bin missing in the firmware git

[add more interested parties to cc]

On Thu, Jun 06, 2024 at 12:18:39PM +0200, Francesco Dolcini wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 05, 2024 at 05:47:09PM +0200, Andreas Kemnade wrote:
> > But that is all legalese and I am not a lawyer... Best is of course
> > something officially added from NXP. No idea if it can be done
> > otherwise. How to make NXP add something?
>
> Would it be possible for you to get these firmware files added to the
> official linux-firmware git repo?
>
> I am not using sd8987 myself, from what I read in the thread probably
> some file name would need to be corrected (I would say in the mwifiex
> driver).

I'd appreciate if NXP could additionally greenlight addition of:

https://github.com/nxp-imx/imx-firmware/blob/lf-6.6.3_1.0.0/nxp/FwImage_IW416_SD/sdiouartiw416_combo_v0.bin
https://github.com/nxp-imx/imx-firmware/blob/lf-6.6.3_1.0.0/nxp/FwImage_IW416_SD/uartiw416_bt_v0.bin

...to the linux-firmware repo.  They're necessary for SD8978 (aka IW416),
which has been supported by mwifiex since commit bba047f15851 ("wifi:
mwifiex: Support SD8978 chipset").

Back in the day when I submitted that commit, I concurrently reached out
to NXP.  Sherry Sun kindly responded that Dinesh Phatak and Pankaj
Razdan need to confirm upstreaming into linux-firmware (both +cc).

The problem is that mwifiex firmware originating from

https://github.com/NXP/mwifiex-firmware/

is available under a simple 3-clause licence, but only contains outdated
firmware for older chips.

More recent firmware available from

https://github.com/nxp-imx/imx-firmware

seems to be distributed under different and much longer licensing terms:

https://github.com/nxp-imx/imx-firmware/blob/lf-6.6.3_1.0.0/LICENSE.txt

So I think we need confirmation from NXP before we can add the firmware
to the linux-firmware repo.

Thanks,

Lukas