Search Linux Wireless

Re: putting future iwlwifi firmware into intel/ ?

Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Since I was just looking at some firmware related thing (files for the
> hardware that might be shared between Intel BT and WiFi), I noticed that
> just over 30% of the files/dirs in the top-level firmware tree are
> iwlwifi-* files.
>
> While we can't move the files that older drivers might consume, we could
> e.g. change the driver to look up future versions/future hardware under
> intel/ instead? Would that be worth doing?

Yes, please. It would be nice to cleanup linux-firmware.git top level
directory. But what about this:

* convert iwlwifi to first use _all_ files under intel/ and then as a
  fallback top level directory

* move existing iwlwifi firmware files to intel/ but create symlinks from
  the old location to the new one (using 'Link:' in WHENCE)

* add new files only to intel/ directory

* after few (4?) years remove the symlinks from linux-firmware and the
  fallback from iwlwifi

This should ensure backwards compatibility, right?

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches