Search Linux Wireless

How do I limit ath9k wireless interface to 2M?

Hello. I need to limit a wifi adapter to using 1M to 2M because this
and another chipset (rtl8187l) have better reception fidelity at those
bitrates which is important when creating a mile-long link. I have
used this successfully for years using an older kernel using the
argument:

iwconfig wlan0 rate 2M auto

However a solution using the new method using iw wlan0 set bitrates
has evaded me. I have tried various incantations which don't seem to
work even when they go through without error. Firstly, nothing works
unless I reset the interface:

> ifconfig wlan0 down;iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed;ifconfig wlan0 up

Then I *quickly* have to set the bit rate. Interestingly, the old
iwconfic line above also executed without error, although it doesn't
seem to do what is intended. Anyway I'll enter a line like:

> iw wlan0 set bitrates legacy-2.4 1 ht-mcs-2.4 0

or
> iw wlan0 set bitrates legacy-2.4 1 2 ht-mcs-2.4 0 1 2
(or iw dev, not sure what the difference is)

and again, it will enter without issue but the bitrate does not get
constrained. If I try to enter ANY of the above lines (including the
iwconfig one) some time after a connection is established, I get the
command failed: Invalid argument (-22) error. Same exact command,
syntax, and options but this time I get an error. To get around the
error I have to take down the interface and put it back up, although
again I don't get the expected behavior.

Any help would be appreciated! Unfortunately, I can't use the decade
old Linux kernel, which worked as intended, as backporting everything
else would be just about impossible.

-Ball