Search Linux Wireless

Re: rtw88 driver support for rtl8723ds does not work on Radxa RockPi-S

On 2/19/24 02:24, Kalle Valo wrote:
Brent Roman <brent@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Yes, that's all true.  However... Random MAC address assignment tends
to cause devices to be assigned a different IP address on each reboot.
This often doesn't play nicely with port forwarding.

Sure, I wasn't claiming that using random addresses is the perfect
solution. But you could also set a fixed random address from user space
(hopefully that works with rtw88).

That will require a new module parameter, which the community does not want.

It's difficult to "prove" the RK3308 cpu serial numbers are unique,
but they should be and the few I've tested have been.

Please take into account that rtw88 driver can be used with all sort of
different CPUs, not just RK3308. This is why I pointed this out.

We should be able to modify the code to handle a number of CPUs. They all should have a unique identifier. On my 2 Intel-based systems, there is no CPU serial number, but there is a serial number attached to the system, In addition, this code will only be invoked if the MAC address in the EUSE is invalid.

Larry