Search Linux Wireless

Re: brcmfmac AP mode

> > In any case, you could argue that starting AP and client and then
> > scanning is pretty much _asking_ for trouble.
>
> Yes I suspected as much. It seems some firmware is just better at this
> than others.

Sure, that makes sense. Beacons are important, you could schedule (non-
passive) scans between them, and ... yeah you're going to lose frames,
but perhaps not the connection as likely.

> There is one use case there that I believe Kieth is
> targeting and that is new device onboarding which I'm sure your familiar
> with as just about every "smart" device uses it. Where the new devices
> starts an AP and your phone/App connects and provides credentials to the
> "real" network.

:)
I always fight with that because typically it wants to transfer the
network credentials from my phone (and be on the same network), but many
devices I don't want to be on the same network ;-)

> The tricky part is having the new device scan for
> available networks while it has a client connected. Some drivers support
> AP scanning which maybe is really what should be used for this? Maybe
> that is optimized to actually work.

That really depends how it's implemented, I wouldn't necessarily say
that "AP scanning" is really better. It's still a crutch.

> I guess I'll also ask, what _is_ the target use case for STA + AP
> interfaces running concurrently? If scanning is unreliable then
> connecting would also be most likely? so what can you actually do here?

You don't _have_ to be scanning on the station all the time if all you
care about is being connected to some other AP? But yeah, it's not all
_that_ useful to have that combination ... and yet I guess people want
it and want to live with the limitations. Especially if firmware is
better than what seems to be the case here.

I dunno. I don't think we support this combination for our devices, but
then again we only really support very limited AP mode.

johannes