Search Linux Wireless

Re: pull-request: wireless-next-2024-01-25

Jakub Kicinski <kuba@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > We run build with sparse and W=1 and then diff the number of warnings
>> > to weed out the pre-existing ones, FWIW.
>>
>> So for wireless and wireless-next I now check W=1 warnings every time I
>> push. We are mostly warning free now but I'm not checking the linker
>> warnings, for example the current MODULE_DESCRIPTION() warnings.
>>
>> It's really annoying, and extra work, that people enable new W=1
>> warnings before fixing them. Could we somehow push back on those and
>> require that warnings are fixed before enabling with W=1 level?
>
> My quite possibly incorrect understanding is that "giving people time
> to fix" is the main point of W=1 :( W=2 is for stuff which may false
> positive, W=1 is for stuff which does not false positive but we can't
> enable it in formal builds because the tree is full of it.

Ok, so keeping the code clean from W=1 warnings will be hard :/

>> In wireless there is a significant number of sparse warnings. I have
>> tried the cleanup people to fix them but it seems there's no interest,
>> instead we get to receive pointless cleanups wasting our time. <loud sigh>
>
> Tell me about it.. :)
>
>> BTW the 'no new line at end of file' warning is indeed from sparse, like
>> Arend suspected:
>>
>> drivers/net/wireless/broadcom/brcm80211/brcmfmac/fwil.c:432:49:
>> warning: no newline at end of file
>
> BTW I'd happy to help you set up an instance of our build testing bot,
> if you have a VM that can be used. It does take a bit of care and
> feeding, but seeing the build failures in patchwork pays the time back.

We have talked about setting up your build bot for linux-wireless
patchwork project but never found the time to do anything. Also we don't
have a VM for it right now.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches