Search Linux Wireless

Re: Ath11k warnings, and eventual phy going away requiring reboot

James Prestwood <prestwoj@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi Kalle,
>
> On 12/19/23 10:24 AM, Kalle Valo wrote:
>> James Prestwood <prestwoj@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> I noticed this after one of our devices dropped offline. The device
>>> had roamed 7 minutes prior so I doubt that had anything to do with it.
>>> But then we get this, and then tons of warnings. I'm happy to provide
>>> full stack traces but its quite a few, not sure which ones are
>>> relevant or not. After all the warnings IWD got an RTNL del link event
>>> and was unable to recover from that. It seems after that ath11k tried
>>> to power back on but failed.
>>>
>>> This is a stock 6.2 ubuntu kernel, WCN6855:
>> BTW I don't know how it's nowadays, but back in the day Ubuntu heavily
>> modified ath11k. And we can't support distro kernels anyway as we don't
>> know what they have changed in the kernel.
>
> Ok. I understand where your coming from, but at the same time Ubuntu
> is the largest linux distribution so it seems like these type of
> reports wouldn't be uncommon. OTOH maybe users just go directly to
> Ubuntu.

Isn't the recommendation that distro kernel bugs should be reported to
distro bug trackers? At least that's what I have understood. At least
our bugzilla says that:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/

> Anyways, this is a list of patches isn't huge according to the
> changelog (for 6.2):
>
>      - wifi: ath11k: fix registration of 6Ghz-only phy without the
> full channel
>      - wifi: ath11k: add support default regdb while searching
> board-2.bin for
>      - wifi: ath11k: fix memory leak in WMI firmware stats
>      - wifi: ath11k: Add missing check for ioremap
>      - wifi: ath11k: Ignore frags from uninitialized peer in dp.
>      - wifi: ath11k: Fix SKB corruption in REO destination ring
>      - wifi: ath11k: reduce the MHI timeout to 20s
>      - wifi: ath11k: Use platform_get_irq() to get the interrupt
>      - wifi: ath11k: fix SAC bug on peer addition with sta band migration
>      - wifi: ath11k: fix deinitialization of firmware resources
>      - wifi: ath11k: fix writing to unintended memory region
>      - wifi: ath11k: Fix memory leak in ath11k_peer_rx_frag_setup
>      - wifi: ath11k: fix monitor mode bringup crash
>      - wifi: ath11k: debugfs: fix to work with multiple PCI devices
>      - wifi: ath11k: allow system suspend to survive ath11k
>
> I see the dilemma of not wanting to waste time debugging when there
> are unknown changes applied. I was hoping someone would recognize the
> behavior and could suggest a patch/kernel/firmware to try

Sure, I also get where you are coming from :) Just wanted to make sure
you know the problem with distro kernels.

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches