Search Linux Wireless

Re: p54: AP mode: no data frame despite traffic indication set in TIM

- Compiled verbose and powersave debugging into the kernel
- Using hostapd 0.6.6 with listen_interval fix
- Moved my monitoring device to the machine acting as AP so timestamps
are synced between the various logs

I see "dropped TX filtered frame" messages in the syslog when at the
same time I see wireless packet sequences as described below. Please
see the attached logs.

Capture:

- frame 1158: my client does a http request
- frame 1168: iPod goes to sleep
- frame 1170: many beacons (with TIM bit set after some time)
- frame 1199: iPod wakes up (presumably answering the "traffic for you" beacons)
- ??? MISSING DATA ???
- frame 1201: beacons with no TIM bit set (so data got sent or dropped?)
- frame 1204: iPod goes to sleep again

In the syslog we find at the corresponding time:

Nov 24 13:49:11 alix kernel: wlan0: STA 00:22:41:91:8e:96 aid 1 send
PS frame since STA not sleeping anymore
Nov 24 13:49:11 alix kernel: phy0: dropped TX filtered frame,
queue_len=0 PS=0 @135594
Nov 24 13:49:11 alix kernel: wlan0: STA 00:22:41:91:8e:96 aid 1 enters
power save mode

which may explain why I don't see any data packet on the air. Also
attached is hostapd log.

This repeats several times until the final "http OK" which only
succeeds because I have grossly extended the timeout of my app.
However, the delay of several seconds between http request and server
response is intended and normal.

I have numerous occurrences of this sequence, easy to reproduce.

Another thing is the fact that we see 24(!) consecutive beacons with
TIM bit set until the iPod finally wakes up. It seems to be lying to
the AP, as it advertises a listen_interval of only 10. May this cause
the above?

In case better debug output is needed or you need me to try out
something, please shout.

Best regards,
  Stefan.