Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath5k: problems during the connection to a sitecom AP

>> When I do a scan after having loaded the driver, the iwlist
>> can't report
the SSID because it's hidden. I don't know if
>> this is a problem but I have
noticed that the reported SSIDs
>> of the two APs are a little bit different.
With the 3com AP
>> (the working one) I get ESSID:" " (1 char blank string)
while
>> with the Sitecom AP ESSID:"" (0 chars empty string).
>
>Okay, that
could very well be the problem.

>Side node: it doesn't buy you anything to
"hide" the SSID of an
>AP. Actually, you can't really hide. The hidden bit
only makes
>the AP lie about the SSID in it's beacons, but for other 802.11

>WLAN protocol messages (like Association Request, Assoc Resp)
>the SSID has
to be send in cleartext anyway.

>So turn of this stupid thingy. This also
makes your roaming
>slightly faster and use slightly less battery (because
the
>client doesn't need to probe the AP if it has the right,
>expected,
SSID. The client knows in an instant that this is the
>case).

Yes, I know
that the hidden SSID technique doesn't have to be used for
security purposes. I
might activate the transmission of the SSID on
my AP but this doesn't solve the
problem in the mac80211 framework
regarding the empty SSIDs (if this is really
the bug).

The problem is that the ieee80211_direct_probe() function is
never
called during the associating request via iwconfig.

Regards,
Fabio