Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwlagn MAC in deep sleep

Hi Yi,

Can you please look for something called vPRO/AMT in your BIOS and
try to disable it?

what has that to do with it? You need to explain why this should help
at all. Just randomly enabling/disabling features of your core system
is not a good debugging method. And even if that makes this go away,
it is still a bug that needs fixed.

iwlagn currently doesn't support AMT, which is another user for the same
hardware. At this time, the only way we can do is to disable it.

BTW, I assume you ask this question on behalf of other people. Otherwise you should involve in our internal discussion as active as the external
ones.

you have to see me like any other user of Intel wireless hardware. The hardware is available to the masses and the driver is merged into the upstream kernel. So the only authority of discussion here is the linux- wireless mailing list. This means that everything I have to discuss about wireless goes to this mailing list. Unless it involves Intel confidential information there is absolutely no need for internal discussions.

Back to the topic. So we do have an issue if AMT is enabled. I have it enabled and from time to time this now kills my hardware. Telling someone to disable a system feature is not really the solution here.

So first question is if we can detect that AMT is enabled from the iwlagn driver? If yes, then we should print a warning here to inform the user of a potential issue. This helps users at least to know what is going.

Second question is if we can tell AMT to not manage this hardware? If yes, then we should certainly do so.

And third question is what does it take to fix the driver to play nicely with AMT.

Regards

Marcel