Search Linux Wireless

Re: Fwd: p54: testing AP mode: cannot switch to master mode

On Thu, 2008-11-20 at 20:21 +0100, Stefan Steuerwald wrote:
> Now I'm learning something! Seems like Johannes' initial question
> about powersaving might have been right on the mark, and Holger's
> explanation set that straight in my brain. Thank you for that!

:)

> I have attached some traces. Connected my iPod to the XG-601 AP and to
> my fritzbox 7170.
> I'm not sure about the interpretation of the beacon flags, but I never
> see beacon flags other than 0x0, does that mean the AP is saying "stay
> awake, no sleeping" to the client?

beacon flags are useless, APs are always awake. No, the AP isn't saying
that to the clients, it's saying that about itself :)

> The iPod alternates Null Functions with the PWR MGT bit on and off -
> whatever that means. Is it ignoring the AP and snoring away?

See above :)

> @Johannes:
> I was not able to find any indicated traffic in any of the beacon TIMs.

Indeed. But did the problem happen during the trace here? It looks like
there is no traffic for the ipod between it going to sleep and waking up
again at all, should there be? If there should be, then there's
definitely a bug in p54/mac80211 somewhere. However, I can't find
anything in the other dumps either, so it seems like there was no
traffic.

Can you try a better test:

(1) start monitoring
(2) connect your ipod to the AP
(3) add the ipod's MAC address to arp (arp -i wlan0 -s 123.456.789.000 gg:jj:kk:ll:mm:nn)
(3) ping it from the network so that it'll be asleep and need to be
    woken

johannes