Search Linux Wireless

Re: On brcm80211 maintenance and support

Hi Dmitry,

(relevant people and lists CC'd)

On Fri, Oct 6, 2023 at 3:16 AM Dmitry Antipov <dmantipov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Kalle,
>
> what's an actual status of brcm80211 driver? It seems
> that the relevant MAINTAINERS entries are no longer
> useful, and [1] states that Broadcom is just "disappeared".

Arend hasn't posted since February:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/63f72045-e51d-d9a4-a0ed-c221bcdcee03@xxxxxxxxx/

Franky is still reviewing things as of early August:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/CA+8PC_evb-6Y3dKnAN4BN=ODEVxY5-cDb6Lc72u0j1WBtx7p1A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Hante hasn't posted since 2018:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/4f6223b8083ed69432493a37d4f45b69@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

Hector Martin has a bunch of Apple-specific patches downstream in the
Asahi Linux kernel and has been looking for guidance on how to
upstream it without any real answers:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/181af6e9-799d-b730-dc14-ee2de2541f35@xxxxxxxxx/

There's also speculation that the Raspberry Pi people have downstream
patches too, but I haven't been able to find anything concrete in a
very brief search.

Finally, the Cypress / Infineon people appear to be uninterested in
discussing the driver.

I think it's pretty safe to say that this driver is nearly
unmaintained by Broadcom, definitely unmaintained by Cypress /
Infineon and Arend is unable to answer questions relating to anything
beyond the code as-written.

Kalle, should this driver get orphaned?

Thanks,

--