Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwlwifi: AX201 misdetected as AX101

Hi

2023. június 29., csütörtök 20:46 keltezéssel, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> írta:

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2023 at 05:30:34PM +0000, Barnabás Pőcze wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > 2023. június 29., csütörtök 18:50 keltezéssel, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) <regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> írta:

> > > Gregory who is CCed since the start of the thread might care to look
> > > into this. According to a quick search lspci is right, but this needs
> > > expects. Maybe it's just a cosmetic problem.

> > > #regzbot inconclusive: unlikely to be fixed in 6.3 before EOL, but 6.4 works

> > > Not sure if I properly understand this.
> > >
> > > Is this broken in 6.1.y as well, but working in earlier kernels? Then it
> > > needs a separate report.
> >
> > There are two issues:
> >
> >  * lspci and iwlwifi disagreeing about the device (AX201 vs AX101), and
> >  * the device not working until the aforementioned commit.
> >
> > This email was originally intended to be about the first one since the device
> > does work with 6.4.
> >
> > But out of curiosity I wanted to find the commit that made the device work to
> > see if maybe it could be easily backported to 6.3, 6.1, etc.
> >
> > In conclusion:
> >
> >         device does not work        device is misdetected
> > 6.1          present                       present
> > 6.3          present                       present
> > 6.4           fixed                        present
> >
> > Since the commits that fixed it don't appear to be easily backportable,
> > the only thing remains to be seen is why lspci and iwlwifi disagree about the
> > name of the device. That issue is still present in 6.4.
>
> This isn't a regression then, it's never worked, but now it works in
> 6.4, so yeah!  And we don't generally backport new hardware enablement
> to stable kernels unless it's a simple device id table update.

I was hoping the change is just a couple lines of bug fixing, which I imagine,
would've been a good candidate for backporting. To be fair, the commit that made
it work is in fact a couple lines, but it has many dependencies...

> As for naming, realize that iwlwifi and lspci get the names of the
> device from different places, so perhaps those userspace databases just
> are not in sync yet?
> [...]

Yes, I am aware of that. Another thing I have realized is that I could just open
the laptop to see what's written on the chip to determine who is right. As it turns
out, I did not even have to do that because it says right on the back that

  The Device Contains WLAN + Bluetooth Module
  AX101NGW

I really should've thought of this before. So if this label is to be believed,
then iwlwifi is right, and lspci is incorrect. So sorry everyone for this waste
of time. For some reasons I really thought that iwlwifi was in the wrong.
I submitted the info to the pci-ids project: https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086/a0f0

Regards,
Barnabás Pőcze