Search Linux Wireless

Realtek 8822ce connection is very unstable

Hi everybody!

I am trying to install Debian Bookworm on a HP 250 g9, which includes
a RTL8822CE wireless network adapter. Unfortunately I am experiencing
very unstable connection.

I started with a default installation (with Gnome and NetworkManager)
and the connection dropped quite often, just after a few minutes.
Usually when the connection dropped dmesg reported some AER errors. I
reported the issue at
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1037145.

Then I attempted in several way to improve the situation (so far
without much luck):
- I added pcie_aspm=off to the Linux command line. The AER errors
disappeared, but the connection is still unstable;
- I tried to force bssid in NetworkManager, but I did not notice any
visible change in stability;
- I upgraded BIOS and all software for this laptop as provided by HP;
- I tried to upgrade Linux and related firmware from Debian unstable.
Initially I updated to Linux package 6.3.7-1 and firmware 20230404-1,
and the stability degraded a lot (i.e., the connection hangs after
just a few seconds). Then I upgraded firmware to 20230505-1 and now
the system is quite stable at the beginning (i.e., the connection is
stable for a few minutes) and then it becomes very unstable after the
first issue (i.e., the connection hangs after just a few seconds). I
noticed some correlation between system suspend and the first issue,
but sometimes the connection just hangs, even if the system does not
attempt to suspend. Executing "rmmod rtw88_8822ce rtw88_8822c
rtw88_pci rtw88_core" and then "modprobe rtw88_8822ce" does not seem
to solve the issue, instead the connection is very unstable after
that;
- I tried to set disable_aspm=1 and disable_msi=1 for rtw88_pci. I
tried both options individually and together. Some additional errors
appear in dmesg, such as `rtw_8822ce 0000:03:00.0: failed to do dpk
calibration` when I use disable_aspm=1 and `rtw_8822ce 0000:03:00.0:
firmware failed to report density after scan` + `rtw_8822ce
0000:03:00.0: failed to get tx report from firmware` when
disable_msi=1. When setting both options together the situation seems
worse. When set individually it seems very similar to not setting any
option;
- I tried using drivers from  https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw88/, but
I was not able to load the driver, since it failed to load the
firmware (I have reported the issue at
ihttps://github.com/lwfinger/rtw88/ssues/150).

What can I do to better identify the issue and possibly solve it?

Best regards,
Giulio