Search Linux Wireless

Re: [regression] STP on 80211s is broken in 6.4-rc4

On 10.06.23 08:44, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 06, 2023 at 12:55:57PM +0200, Nicolas Escande wrote:
>> Hello Felix,
>>
>> As user of the mesh part of mac80211 on multiple products at work let me say
>> thank you for all the work you do on wifi, especially on 80211s, and especially
>> the recent improvements you made for mesh fast RX/TX & cross vendor AMSDU compat
>>
>> We upgraded our kernel from an older (5.15) to a newer 6.4. The problem is STP
>> doesn't work anymore and alas we use it for now (for the better or worse).
>>
>> What I gathered so far from my setup:
>>  - we use ath9k & ath10k
>>  - in my case STP frames are received as regular packet and not as amsdu
>>  - the received packets have a wrong length of 44 in tcpdump
>>    (instead of 38 with our previous kernel)
>>  - llc_fixup_skb() tries to pull some 41 bytes out of a 35 bytes packet
>>    this makes llc_rcv() discard the frames & breaks STP
>>
>> >From bisecting the culprit seems to be 986e43b19ae9176093da35e0a844e65c8bf9ede7
>> (wifi: mac80211: fix receiving A-MSDU frames on mesh interfaces)
>>
>> I guess that your changes to handle both ampdu subframes & normal frames in the
>> same datapath ends up putting a wrong skb->len for STP (multicast) frames ?
>> Honestly I don't understand enough of the 80211 internals & spec to pinpoint the
>> exact problem.
>>
>> It seems this change was already in the 6.3 kernel so I guess someone should
>> have seen it before (but I didn't find anything..) ? Maybe I missed something...
>>
>> Anyway I'm happy to provide more info or try anything you throw at me.
>>

> Thanks for the regression report. I'm adding it to regzbot:
>
> (Felix: it looks like this regression is introcued by a commit authored by you.
> Would you like to take a look on it?)
>
> #regzbot ^introduced: 986e43b19ae917

Hmmm, Felix did not reply. But let's ignore that for now.

Nicolas, I noticed there are a few patches in next that refer to the
culprit. Might be worth giving this series a try:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20230314095956.62085-1-nbd@xxxxxxxx/

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.