Search Linux Wireless

Re: wifi: rtw88: questions about adding support for RTL8723DS/RTL8723BS

Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> Per chip support matrix is:
>>> 8723BE: rtlwifi
>>> 8723BU: rtl8xxxu
>>> 8723BS: staging driver which I'd like to replace
>>> 8723DE/U/S: rtw88
>>>
>>> HCI support matrix:
>>> rtlwifi: PCIe, USB
>>> rtl8xxxu: USB
>>> rtw88: PCIe, USB and SDIO
>>>
>>> So it seems you are right: I should consider whether adding RTL8723BS
>>> support to rtw88 is the right choice.
>>
>> While rtw88 might not be best choice by above matrix, it seems to be most
>> featureful, stable and at least from what I saw, easiest to add new variants.
>>
>> I'll do a bit of experiment with rtw88 to see how hard it would be...
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Jernej
>
> Now that RTL8192CU is being handled, the USB part of rtlwifi is being
> considered for deletion. If you decide in terms of adding RTL8723BS to
> rtlwifi, please let me know.

>From higher level point of view I would prefer rtlwifi going away in the
long run and the development focus be on rtl8xxxu, rtw88 and rtw89. So
if at all possible, please avoid adding new hardware support to rtlwifi.

But of course I'm not familiar with Realtek designs so please do correct
if I'm missing something :)

--
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches