Search Linux Wireless

Thoughts about mac80211 client PS implementation

I'm working on implementing the "dynamic Power Save" (ie. PS enabled
after an idle period) feature to mac80211. Here are my current
thoughts:

First of all, I think we should enable CONF_PS only when associated.
So instead of directly calling hw_config() from
ieee80211_ioctl_siwpower() we should do that only when associated.
Otherwise we change it only after association or disassociation. This
means that we have to add a separate bit/variable for storing what
user has requested.

PS should be disabled while associated and running software scan, and
naturally re-enabled after the scan has finished. I assume hardware
scanning implementations are clever enough to disable PS when scanning
and we don't have to worry about that case.

The dynamic PS implementation is still a bit open issue for me. I have
been thinking something like that in tx.c frames will be queued if PS
is enabled, PS will be disabled in a workqueue by calling
ieee80211_hw_config() and only after that the queued frames are
transfered. So something similar as sta->ps_tx_buf does in AP mode. No
idea if this is feasible or not.

Any comments before I'll start writing code?

--
Kalle Valo