Search Linux Wireless

Re: wilc1000: AP mode issue

On Wed, 2023-04-12 at 00:33 +0000, Ajay.Kathat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 4/11/23 14:08, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:
> > EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe
> >
> > Ajay,
> >
> > I'm just starting to investigate an issue with the wilc1000 driver that occurs
> > when it is operating as an access point.  I came across this thread:
>
> What is the issue observed with the AP mode.

I'm still working on simplifying the test case.  Right now, it's rather
complex:

 1) Connect wlan0 in managed mode to an existing access point.
 2) Create a virtual interface wlan0 (iw dev wlan0ap interface add
wlan0ap type __ap)
 3) Set up a captive portal on wlan0ap (iptables rules, web server,
dnsmasq)
 3) Start hostapd on wlan0ap

Once that's done, use a smartphone or any other client device to
connect to the captive portal's SSID.  The captive portal redirects any
HTTP requests to the portal's web server.

Now, when the client starts downloading pages from the web server,
something bad happens in the wilc1000.  The connections to the web
server get stuck and wilc1000 stops broadcasting the hostapd's SSID.
There are no error message (even with debug enabled in wilc1000).

Depending on the client device, the problems appears sooner or later.
For example, with Android 13, the problem happens infrequently but
with iOS or Android 9, it happens rather reliably and early on (within
the first few KiB of data transmission).

> >   https://lore.kernel.org/linux-wireless/87pmkmylex.fsf@xxxxxxxxxx/
> >
> > and was wondering if there has been progress towards converting the driver to
> > use the nl80211-based TX/RX interface.  If so, is this something that's
> > available somewhere or could be shared?
> >

> I haven't started working on this part yet. After completing few pending
> ongoing patches. I will look into this.

Great!

Best regards,

  --david